Tuesday, January 12, 2010

MEIST - Presentations and Bonding

As we boarded the bus today, our professor sprung a small surprise on us. "Who here is in favour of capping CEO compensation?" A few hands went up. "Ok", he replied, "You are on one team debating for capping compensation, everyone else is on the opposing team."

I was fortunate to hear some mumbling between two friends behind me when one of them sitting in the back piped up and asked me (with a broad smile across her face): "Are you on our team? Good. You can present."

Also, later that day, we were discussing the efforts of Jordanian business to grow organically when we began to discuss the topic of manufacturing and exporting chocolate. On this cue, our professor asked a member of our team to present our Market Entry Strategy (Sugar Mountain) to the group. While my partner agreed that our team should present, she deferred the responsibility to me.

My classmates have been generous with giving me an opportunity to do presentations. They know that I truly enjoy it and that my passion for these topics reflects through my speaking.

In continuing with my recent posts, I really have been enjoying what I have been learning and the methods by which we have obtained and developed more knowledge and skills. These impromptu presentations have been challenging and even the deliberately abrupt 'surprise' course work from the prof has been enjoyable on this trip.

And more noteworthy than the usual 'mechanics of business' are the motivated and intellectually curious people who are attracted to doing the MBA program at Rotman. I am so glad that I had this opportunity to learn more about business in a foreign region with students (second years and one part timer) who I would normally never have classes with.

No comments: