Thursday, March 24, 2011

Travelling in Europe

The bizarre truth is that it’s actually cheaper to visit other parts of Europe than it is to stay in London. With the end of the term (and MBA program) upon us, many students (exchange especially) are planning a variety of trips before the academic program is over.
(Shown above: Bull fight, La Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas, Madrid, Spain)

So far this week, I’ve been to Madrid, Spain and Bordeaux, France. I'm travelling with a few students from LBS and we are driving down the coast of the south of France and into northern Spain, visiting coastal towns as we make our way down and are currently San Sebastian, Spain. My French has been a bit rusty, but enough to decipher menus, make orders, ask directions and generally get around. It has been almost 5 years since my CFES days.

(Shown above: Chateau Margaux, Bordeaux, France)

(Shown below: San Sebastian, Spain)

Having visited Lisbon, Portugal and Rome, Italy there is only one other country I need to visit to collect my PIGS set: I plan on visiting Greece in early April for my final block week course: Service Management Field trip, a consulting project based in Thessaloniki, Greece.

I have always enjoyed Greek mythology, especially after reading the Odyssey in high school which was one of my favourite books of all time. I will certainly enjoy spending time in Athens visiting some of the ancient ruins. Greece is also home to many famous mathematicians and philosophers that derived such elegant concepts such as the approximation of pi or the golden ratio. I'm really looking forward to the trip.