Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Exploiting Chaos, trend-spotter Jeremy Gutsche on sparking innovation

Having graduated from the "most innovative university in Canada" (according to Macleans), you'll have to excuse me if I appear skeptical when I hear the words "sparking innovation". After all, is innovation something you can practice systematically? Is it something you can teach? To most of us, it would appear as if innovation just happens in the right conditions under the right circumstance with the right people and has a large component of happenstance (I deliberately refrain from using the word 'luck'). You'll notice that many of the arguements here are the same counterpoints that Roger Martin encounters when talking about Integrative Thinking.

Not intending to actually attend the lecture (I have quite a bit of work to catch up on for our Foundations of Integrative Thinking class as well as an upcoming Stats quiz), I was nonetheless drawn into the commotion in the Rotman's Fleck Atrium as Jeremy Gutsche began his presentation. While I must admit ignorance to his background, I was drawn into his captivating presentation style. I came for the noise and distraction, but stayed for the message and content. (Aside: There is an interesting parallel here to his example of Joshua Bell, noted as one of the best violinists in the world, playing out of context, i.e. not in a concert hall, and not attracting much attention.)
He discussed the content of his book, Exploiting Chaos (which I bought a copy of and will review once I've read it) which describes a framework and methodology for builiding and disseminating ideas in a new and developing (polite words for chaotic) market place.
His methodology?
  1. Culture of Revolution
  2. Trend Hunting
  3. Adaptive Innovation
  4. Infectious Messaging

He askes the question, which is more important? Culture or strategy? And replies with a resounding "Culture eats strategy for breakfast". He labels the four most important pieces of his framework as:

  1. Perspective
  2. Experimental Failure
  3. Consumer Obession
  4. Intentional Destruction

(Aside: Each of these points deserve a more explicit description which I will provide after I've completed the book.)

His Rule #1? Relentlessly obsess about your story. It must be:
  1. Simple
  2. Direct
  3. Supercharged - the "I have to tell someone" test
He provides an example of the Fleurburger, "the worlds most expensive hamburger" which has qualities 1 and 2 (simple and direct), but not supercharged. His perspective? "a $5000 burger" a pitch which contains all 3 points.
His final take away is this:
Viral Trends + Methodical innovation =
Generate ideas,
Stimulate Creativity, and
Ultimately Exploit Chaos

No comments: