Friday, October 2, 2009

Rotman Finance Association - Building My Prep Team

It seems the most popular clubs feel like they can have their kick off meetings late on Friday afternoon and still get pack rooms. Which they did. The two undisputed heavy weight champions in terms of clubs interest are the Management Consulting Association (MCA) and the Rotman Finance Association (RFA), both of which held their kick off meetings on consecutive Friday afternoons. Last week was MCA, this week was RFA (today).

The info session was a good primer for those with little or no background in finance as well as an introduction to the upcoming events. They emphasized some key points (which I've been talking to some of the Club Executives about) in terms of how to prepare for what amount to the most competitive and desired jobs available to MBAs. The RFA Exec made a good point, essentially: "All the skills you need to interview for summer jobs, you won't learn until it's too late. You're on your own." There's just too much going on too fast. It's really up to you to take the initiative. Keep in mind that if you went to Ivey (One year program), you'd be facing the same challenges except you'd be worried about full time rather than internships.

I'm currently in the process of putting together a team of people who are interested in investment banking and high finance. I offering to teach them what I know (learned over the summer and through CFA) in exchange for having serious partners for preparation in the same way we're building a case interview / competition team for consulting. The Analyst Exchange was very good in prepping me to discuss and build valuation, consolidated financial statement modeling, leveraged buy outs, mergers and acquisitions.

My goal is two fold. In terms of what I'm offering to give, I hope my Rotman counterparts and I can improve our odds to boost our recruitment and offer batting average (the other side of the hiring batting average) which I promised as my speech for Rotman 1st Year rep.

More selfishly, I want to find a group of dedicated people who I can potentially draw upon as teammates for investment challenges and (in the future) network contacts.
"10 years from now when we've all reached our potential, I want you to tell your executive assistant to take my call when I'm looking to find partners interested in doing a deal." ~ Josh Wong, 2009

No comments: